Thursday, November 19, 2009

Just say "Yes"


"Mommy, they're the same shade as you" said Camryn. We were sitting on the kitchen floor, sink full of dishes, pile of dirt next to the broom, laundry piled on the counter. I had used every form of "no" you imagine that morning (without actually saying N-O). "In a minute", "Just let me finish this", "I've got to get this done", "Mommies has too much to do right now", "I need to fold this before it wrinkles".


And here she comes again with the nail polish. I love that about kids. They don't give up.


"Mommy will you paint my toes?" Elbow deep in dish water, I just didn't have the energy to explain why I couldn't, so I just said "YES, I'd love to paint your toes!".


I don't know why, but I've said "Yes" to every little request since. Sometimes it was something so quick, like snapping Barbie's dress, or pushing play on her princess CD. Other times, it took a couple of minutes...holding her hand through the scary part of Snow White, making her a glass of chocolate milk, drawing a self portrait in crayon.


What's crazy is, I think I spent more time telling my three year old why I couldn't, than I did "doing". I still managed to get tons done and I felt happier.


We all need to put our kids at the top of the "to-do" list. Sit down and share their after school snack, color with them, watch their favorite show, let them help cook dinner. These are the things they'll remember. They won't remember a clean house, they won't know their clothes aren't wrinkled, and they won't care if your pedicure is perfect.


When Camryn's nails were done, they were the same shade as me. But really, I was the same shade as her. Why does it take a toddler to bring us back to our true color? How did I get so caught up in thinking "perfect things" were more important than "perfect moments"?


So my new motto is "If you want to see me, stop over anytime. If you want to see my house, give me a couple days notice". In the meantime, I'll be hugging my kids and saying "yes, there's nothing I'd like to do more".


1 comment:

  1. Seriously Kim. You should be a writer. You ARE a writer. I loved this. I needed this - especially now in the christmas hecticness! Thank you thank you thank you!

    Ginger Kasanic

    ReplyDelete