Friday, May 22, 2009

First and Last




The picture on the left was taken this morning, Aidan's last day of First grade. The picture on the right was taken on the first day of school. I thought he'd look so much different. He IS so much different. I'm not even sure how much he's grown in inches, but I know he's grown much bigger on the inside. I really wanted something tangible, something I could see with my own two eyes. I guess I'll have to be happy with the worn tennis shoes that I know are too small now and were too big in the fall, the tired eyes today that were bright with anticipation at the beginning of the year, and the changes in my decor that show that time has passed and life has changed.
Aidan breezed through first grade, loved his teacher, and worked extra hard to keep his brain active. I pushed for harder curriculum, but had to settle for extra work due to testing requirements. Many afternoons when Aidan's friends were out playing, he was sitting inside still doing homework. He never complained about the additional harder work, but gave me heck about the easy stuff. He loves to be challenged. David and I had to stop ourselves from expecting perfection and embrace the fact that he is only seven. What I hope he left first grade with, is not all things perfect, but the love of learning that he has always had. Boredom can be a very defeating monster, but with the help of his teacher, I hope we kept it at bay.
This summer will be about rejuvenating. I pledged myself to my kids and making them happy. No schedules. We are traveling a lot, Aidan is going away to camp, and we're having visitors too, but in between, we're going to be lazy!! I've got to get that sparkle back in Aidan's eye before school starts again. August will be here before we know it.
Happy Summer everyone!! IT BEGINS NOW... if you live in Auburn, AL that is.

2 comments:

  1. Can u believe they're done!? It flew by!!!

    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope 2nd grade will be a little more stimulating for him. I think first grade is such a review for so many kids, while the teachers are trying to help the rest of the kids catch up. It is amazing how much they change in a year!

    ReplyDelete