Saturday, January 31, 2009

Back to the Future

There are times we all see pictures of our children as babies and we're immediately transported back to those sweet days of cuddling, nurturing, wishing for all the good things in life for them.
There are days we want to freeze frame and stop them from growing up at all. And then there are days when you catch a glimpse from the corner of your eye and you don't even recognize the little person they've become. We're so anxious for our kids to start walking, and before we know it, they're standing on their own two feet and walking away from us.
Instead of longing to pull Aidan and Camryn back to me,
I've decided to look forward to what my greatest gifts are going to become. These pictures are those that transport me forward.
Every time I see them, I see a spirit captured, a timeless soul, on the verge of great things.

Aidan is a thinker. His intelligence is only tempered by his time on this earth. Someday he will be instrumental in big change, for he always finds a different means to the end. He's not defiant, but never thinks there's only one right answer.
I'm sure he'll be on the Debate Team. His quest for knowledge is insatiable. I'm hoping to teach him the value of love, trust, and honesty, and other things you can't Google. I know he'll find a new way, a better way, or maybe a cure that will change the world. He does this for me... From him, everyday, I learn.




Camryn is an artist. Not a day goes by that she doesn't beg to paint. She is constantly creating ... with food, cosmetics, dirt, clothes.
Nothing remains as it should be. Camryn has to make it her way. She'll be the child who cuts four inches off her skirt at the bus stop.
She gets dressed in the morning and reinvents herself before we can get out the door. She is so confident and proud of herself. She'll probably travel the world, live from her back pack, and be discovered as a super model, when she would rather be the photographer.
She's a wild Irish rose with a true gypsy soul. I have to teach her about boundaries,
rules, and being beautiful on the inside too. Everyday she reminds me to appreciate life's miracles and to take time to smell the flowers.
It's so exciting to think of all the experiences they have in front of them, all the things they can become. Everyday is taking them in that direction. They're growing up before our eyes and all we can do is tell them we love them, hug them tight, and let them go into the future. Hopefully they'll turn back and wave.



4 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Kimberly, my beautiful and (favorite!) sister-in-law.

    I just finished reading the comments you posted most recently about Aidan & Camryn. It made me cry to read.

    I know you are enjoying them so much and I feel so proud to be their aunt. And, as you know, I have always adored my sweet little brother, and am so glad he picked a wonderful person like you.

    The children will grow up so quickly, I look at my sons and see so much potential in them, then I think, I only have 5 more years with Nicholas, it is hard to believe.

    Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post about your adorable kids. Your post was so nice and thought-filled. It was fun to read.
    Linzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do grow and change so quick! That's why this blogging thang is great...it's like we're documenting their little journey though life!

    How fun is that!

    You're a great mommy BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed that! I have had a frustrating week dealing with sick children, whining, fussing and just overall drama that comes with girls. So thank you for reminding me to take a deep breath and dig deep for that patience that my grandmother gave me. Sometimes I just tend to mis-place it I guess you could say.

    ReplyDelete