Saturday, January 3, 2009

Just Another Ordinary Day

No, I didn't take up abstract art as one of my New Year's Resolutions. This is a firework seen from our front porch tonight, set off during an impressive thunderstorm. Just when you think things are getting normal, no major events pending in the near future, Mother Nature decides to mix things up a little. We had to abort our grilling because the lightning strikes were frequent and very close. Then if things weren't interesting enough, we heard the boom of fireworks above the thunder. Usually pyrotechnics are cancelled due to inclement weather, but they were beautiful raining down with the rain. Another extraordinary event today - I actually sewed something to completion. As mentioned , one of resolutions was to try to sew some things for Camryn. I went to the store, bought some fabric, a pattern, some "notions" (whatever that means) and got right to it . After following the directions meticulously for a couple of steps, I started to modify, add to, take away, and eventually realized this sewing was actually fun and relaxing. I put in about 5 hours from start to finish. I couldn't wait for Camryn to wake up so she could try it on. It is perfect on her. I've already got my next project designed in my head. I can already tell I won't be much of a pattern follower since on my first ever sewing project , I managed to change the neckline, the sleeve length, sleeve style, and waistline. Watch for Camryn wearing some of my creations in the near future. I might even feel confident enough to spend more than a dollar yard.
I'm glad I didn't make the pants. They look a little big through the rise!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Kimberly. I sew, too, or at least I USED to all the time. There's nothing like that sense of accomplishment that comes from making it on your own -- that is until you wise and realize you can just buy it at the store on sale -- no notions involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sew.): You did a fabulous job!!!


    Love the top....oh, and I love Mini Boden, too! I think they have the cutest...yet most practical things for the kids to wear.

    ReplyDelete