Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have a Dream....


On this day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the day before the United States of America inaugurates it's first Black President, I have a dream. I dream there will come a day when all people remain as color blind as the day they were born. That all human beings have the same value, no matter the color of their skin, their religion, or their socio-economic background. That describing someone as black, would be as crazy as calling someone purple, or green, or polka dot. It won't happen in our lifetime.


As much as I've tried to insulate my children from prejudice, it's just seeped in through the cracks. I overheard someone who is refusing to watch any of the inauguration coverage, thinks they'll throw up if they see even a moment. I can't imagine hating something so strongly, hating the future before it happens. I wanted to know what was so repulsive, the person or the political party. I didn't trust myself to keep quiet, no matter the answer.


Tomorrow will be a day of celebration for many, a day of mourning for many more. For me, I've always thrived on change. I get bored without it. I'm looking forward to a changing future for our country and our children. I dream of a day when Martin Luther King Jr. was not a black man, but a man, who saw a future without boundaries, without sides, without a ceiling.


You're home today, with your family, because a man had a dream for his own. This day is in his honor. Tomorrow another man will realize a dream and I can't wait to watch every minute of it. The gravity of it is yet to sink in, but maybe 100 years from now, Barrack Obama's Birthday will be a National Holiday. People will spend it at home with their families, and they'll remember when "Black" was the measure of a man and not just a color in the crayon box.


No matter your views... times are changing. You can either close your eyes, hold your breath and try not to throw up. Or you can appreciate the history being made tomorrow and teach a lesson to your children. Tell them not to be afraid to wish for big things, to imagine the unimaginable, because sometimes your wildest dreams really do come true.

5 comments:

  1. Good post. I may not have voted for the incoming President, but I have faith that he will make good choices for our country.

    And, yes, I read the comment on teething.... I have heard a million and one times from doctors that teething does not cause runny noses, fevers, etc., however it always seems like runny noses, fevers, etc., show up when little T is teething.... So, I just don't know!

    Her roseola is getting much, much better. The bumps are gone from her body. She has a bit of a runny nose. And, those darn teeth are really giving her some pain. One molar in.... three to go! (then, I think we are done with teeth for a while????).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post!! I can't imagine living in a seperated world like our parents did, and glad I don't have too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...I agree.

    I admit I really liked McCain I saw all the sacrifices he had made in serving our country...I'm an Airforce brat!(:
    I see this though as a time to regroup and think positive.
    Our new president might really bring some good to us!
    I hope and pray he does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also did not vote for Obama but have been glued to the TV all morning. I personally haven't met one person who is not pulling for him and wishing the best for him. It is a great moment in history and I explained this to my children last night. Remember this day because it will be a part of history that their children and grandchildren will study in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great post! I agree... he may not have been my first choice to be president, but that was mostly because of his lack of experience. I pray every day that he will guide this country through difficult times, and we will once again be respected throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete