Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Mom, the Witch, and the Big Girl Bed

Yes, these are drawings on my kitchen wall. (Linzi, make a note to secure all writing utensils out of reach), but this story is NOT about toddler creativity with markers, nail polish, yogurt, toothpaste..... This is about Camryn and her Witch. I'm capitalizing Witch, because Witch is now part of our family. Camryn had been talking about the witch in her room for quite some time, Saturday after Thanksgiving to be exact. Black Friday was my last night of uninterrupted sleep in my own bed. Every night since, I have been either woken by Camryn calling to me or just slept in her bed with her. I know many of you are thinking that she is using the witch to sleep with Mom and Dad, but I'm not sure that's the case. The first time the witch showed up, it was in the afternoon. Camryn was "scared" of the witch in her room. I told her witches weren't real, they were just cartoons. Every time after, she would tell me she wasn't scared of the witch in her room, it was just a cartoon, and then wake in the night crying about the witch. When I told her she couldn't leave her Big Girl bed and come in Mommy and Daddy's room to sleep, we found her sleeping on the Hardwood floor outside our room. It broke my heart, so I decided that making her feel safe was more important than the stigma of a child that won't sleep alone. Over the last couple of months, Witch has shown up in the kitchen mid-day, in the corner of her room, on the ceiling in the hall, but always out of the blue. We've swept Witch out the back door, vacuumed Witch up, scolded Witch away, but Witch has become a permanent resident.
The great thing about Witch is that "she" is not scary or mean. She's purple, with long hair, and a girl. After being asked so many times about Witch, Camryn finally decided to draw her (maybe life-size) on the kitchen wall. I'm sure she'll eventually go away, but until then, every day, as darkness falls, pajamas are put on , Camryn asks me "you sleep in my Big Girl bed?". And I do... hoping that night will be my last. So if anyone would like to adopt a nice, female, purple witch with long hair you can inquire under Camryn's bed. She's free to a good home!

12 comments:

  1. This is very interesting seeing that Kimbell saw a blue glowing girl with long hair in his room about a year ago and STILL will not sleep upstairs...you may need to call me about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're kidding me right? You know how I love Ghost Hunters, but I don't want to call Jason and Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very serious! It was a young girl with black long hair and SHE glowed blue! Does Cam know her colors well??(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does, but even I could get confused if faced with a witch in my bedroom. I'm sleeping in there with her tonight. My Mom does think there may be more to it. I'm a little nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's really strange they both sound like they saw the same thing.
    My mom was thinking it might have been an Indian girl that died on this land a long time ago. So that's what we called it. We never talked about it around Kimbell after that, but Joe and I would hear running around upstairs at night, too.

    The kids were always in bed asleep!


    Sounds crazy...I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya'll need to go on and stop! You are freaking me out. Is Grove Hill on an Indian burial ground? Hey Kimberly... this is Heather (Fritz Mom) LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! You are a fabulous writer. Would love top put your link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any evidence of old Indian land here? I only ask, because I've heard walking upstairs, what sounds like furniture moving, long before the witch showed up. I've gone up to tell Aidan to get back in bed a couple of times. He was sound asleep. I've woken David up and he's heard it too. Whatever's going on, doesn't feel "bad" to me, but I sure do miss my Husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOhhhh!!! I love these stories!! I guess I need to shut up because we haven't had any of that in our house, but I am all into this. Keep me updated you 2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm actslly trying to go next week and look into the property some. Doubt I'll find anything, but can't hurt, right!??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, your post, and especially the comments afterward, sent shivers down my body. Yes. Freaked me out.
    As a kid, I spent 95% of my nights on my mom and dad's floor. I don't think there was actually any ghosts or anything in our house, I just saw the movie Halloween when I was way too young, and it freaked me out until I was 25.
    I am interested in hearing what happens, however, as I said before, the thought of any real ghosts totally makes me shiver!
    And, I will keep markers, crayons, toothpaste, etc. out of Tessa's hands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimberly, it's not only Julee's and your house either. We've heard stories when we've gotten together for Bunco or LRC about other weird things happening at Heather Woods, Elizabeth White, Stacy's old house and Sue Bell's house. There is definitely something going on... and as soon as I read your story I FREAKED out... chill bumps and all -- I've known what happened to Kimbell for a while and it was exactly the SAME description!

    ReplyDelete