Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cotton Shortage

I really don't intend to use this blog to endorse or critique any area businesses, therefore I won't use names for the following story. I'm just so disturbed by it on so many levels and it's really no big deal. This is why it bothers me. It was a random act of unkindness, it was directed at me (but it would have made me mad no matter who was involved), it scares me to think that things have gotten to this point in both the quality of work environments and resources available, this is a place I go to everyday. The GYM. This is what happened.

For those of you who don't know the GYM, it is a GYM belonging to a private golf club which we pay to belong to. This isn't the YMCA. I went to the GYM to a sculpting class today and left my exercise mat home. Instead of laying on the germy mats that are there for use, I stopped in the locker room and grabbed a shower towel. For those of you who do not go to this GYM, let me reassure you, the shower towel is only different from the other towels in size. It is not luxurious thick cotton, it's just bigger. While setting up for class, I opened the towel to lay it on the mat and was interrupted by the "male attendant" coming into the studio . "Do you really need to be using a large towel?" I immediately explained the reason and then stood there in shock.
This bothered me for these reasons. We pay a lot of money to belong to this club. This attendant called me out in front of a lot of people. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing for us all. Did he think I would fold it and put it back? My workout was ruined. My mind was wandering. What circumstances led to his need to stop me from using a large towel? Do they frequently run out of large towels? Has he been asked to keep the loads of laundry to a certain number? Is the water bill too high? Does he hate folding large towels? Or is he just mean and lazy? I'm not going to publish what I feel the reason is , but I will tell you this , I laid on that white towel (which felt more like a white elephant) and tried to figure this all out. Like I said, it really is no big deal that I've been trying to deal with all day.
So tomorrow when I go to the GYM, I'm going to be very mature and not use a large white towel.... I'll use six small ones instead.

1 comment:

  1. That is ridiculous. You are a paying member. One of the priviledges of membership is a clean towel. I am sure many women use 2 or 3 towels when they shower. It sounds like that man had a stick up his bum and wanted to embarass you. I don't understand why people act the way they do. I think a HUGE part of society does not want to work. They don't like doing their jobs. And, they are very rude in return.

    ReplyDelete