Thursday, January 15, 2009

Perfect Street, U.S.A.


This is where we live. It's why we wanted to live here. The beautiful houses, the happy families, the manicured lawns, the cute kids, the sidewalks with people walking their dogs, and the matching mailboxes , all lined up in a row.


Today, I was sitting at my kitchen table looking down the street at those mailboxes. Some have patriotic bows, some have silver crosses on the side, some are just plain old black mailboxes. All belong to our neighbors on Perfect Street.


Life just isn't perfect here. The patriotic bows are for a "Mom" called to duty in Iraq. The silver crosses are for a "Dad" diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Another mailbox belongs to a family caring for a daughter with cancer. Another mailbox will be filled with sympathy cards for a loved one lost over the weekend. Many mailboxes will soon receive mail for new families, as neighbors move away.


No matter the mailbox, one thing is the same. Every mailbox belongs to a family, with a story and a life.... probably not so perfect.


There probably is a Perfect Street somewhere. Maybe on your way to Easy Street. I know I'll never live on either one. My life isn't perfect or easy, and those bows and crosses are reminders that no one's life is. They are also reminders that life can change in a day, a moment, an instant. Live each one to it's fullest, hug your kids, and wave to your neighbors. If anyone does happen to move to Perfect Street in their lifetime, I'll send you a Christmas card from the Real World. Until then, I'll see you in the neighborhood!


8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. I am feeling inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I guess there's no such perfect on earth. I guess that just makes us yearn for heaven more!(:

    Loved this post!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kimberly. I really love your blog and would like to put a link to it if on mine if you don't mind. Also, I love the Witch story and told your story again on my blog. Hope you don't mind. I'll try and send readers your way if that's o.k. but I'll wait to make sure you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love it Kimberly! You are so right. I sometimes get really frustrated with people who portray themselves and their lives as perfect... I guess it's because I wear my heart on my sleeve and couldn't hide anything if I tried. But it feels much better to be authentic for me... and I love how authentic you are in your writing. Thanks for reminding us to appreciate the small things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly,

    We're getting a lot of press her with our Indigo Ghost Girl story.

    Check out Amanda and Elizabeth's blogs!(:

    BTW- You should be proud of yourself! You're an awesome writer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. If we were all the same and or "perfect" I think life would not near as interesting. Chocolate and vanilla.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the compliments guys. This blog has done me a world of good. I vowed to stay off the computer yesterday, but sometimes inspiration hits and you have to go with it. You all are welcome to link my blog, pass it on...Afterall, you were all my inspirations to start it in the first place. This ghost stuff is kinda crazy and there's some I haven't told because it made me feel kinda crazy. Maybe I'll post it or at least pass it along later. And for the record, I also enjoy all your blogs and am amazed at how different they all come across. That may be post in itself. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete