Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Powder Puff





Is this the face of someone who looks guilty? Well she is... and I have the incriminating footprints (and handprints) to prove it. That's what you get for leaving powder within the reach of a two year old, so I guess I'm the one who is
really guilty. I guess I'll never learn.










Oh, and because I couldn't let this day go by without trying to teach Aidan something about the historical significance of Barrack Obama taking the oath today, we had a little dinner conversation last night. It went something like this.
Mom: Tomorrow's an impotant day in American history, do you know why?
Aidan: Barrack Obama is going to President starting tomorrow.
Mom: That's right, but do you why that's important?
Aidan: Because he got the most votes.
Mom: Right, but he's also the first African American President.
End of conversation until I'm doing dishes and Aidan and Camryn are coloring. I try to pick up
where we left off. Maybe I can put it in simpler terms.
Mom: Aidan, did you know that 60 years ago, your friend Victor wouldn't be allowed to go to
the same school as you?
Aidan: Mom, I've known that since I was three! Mom look, Camryn colored an African
American Mickey Mouse. His face is brown.
He was right. I taught him about Civil Rights his first year of pre-school when he wanted to know why he couldn't go to school on MLK JR. Day. I used segregation to try to explain civil rights. And yes, Camryn had colored Mickey in her coloring book brown. To Aidan it was as simple as that. It was then I looked at David and just gave up. He either really gets it or doesn't get it at all, but I just didn't have the words to teach him. I'm going to leave it to the professionals and history.

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooo sorry! That's awful about the powder! One time when Macy was really little, she got a hold of the diaper rash cream (Resinol) and proceeded to cover Madison's room in it! I spent 8 hours just on the carpet!!! So glad you took pictures! And you know what, I hope our children don't ever really "get it." I hope the concept of how amazing it is to have a black president never seems like a big deal to them, because they will grow up knowing that all people should be treated equally... that every man or woman has the opportunity to accomplish any thing they set their mind to. It was a good try though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there with the powder ordeal!): Not fun!

    Love that our kids are seeing these amazing changes in our country take place. It's really moving you know.

    Mally saw Beyonce on Oprah one day and asked if she was from Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited too. I love that more and more people are finally seeing that we are all equal. I agree with Amanda that maybe things are getting to the point where this seems normal to our kids. It should, it is, it is just that to us things have been so not normal for so long.

    ReplyDelete